The Movies We Missed

The forums have reopened! Thanks for all your patience guys. We know it's been tough. -Snipe
Voting has ended!

Advice Needed

Advice Needed

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:15 pm

I have decided to help the project by modelling. But, I am a n00b with some n00by questions. You see, I am trying to model a kanohi, specifically the Pakari, using as few polygons as possible, because my computer is a dinosaur. I used my Kanohi Tryna to bring it back.

Anyway, when there are large holes in a kanohi, like at the top of Ruru, for example, is it possible to texture in the hole, so that I don't have to model around it?

Last edited by ShaggyNerd on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Re: Advice Needed

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:43 pm

id first of would like to say being a noob as you put it starting off with modeling kanohi is the wrong way to go coz they are the hardest to get perfect.

but if you really want to model kanohi texturing the holes. for example making the hols apear black in colour to suggest they are there when they arnt modeled would be a games style model and texture where as for a movie it is recomended modeling the holes.

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Right. I am trying to make a kanohi mainly because I have my own mini-project, which I have dubbed Operation LeMoN, and because I wanted some practice on the not-so-easy stuff. But thanks for the tip. Wink

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Next question. For the eyes, since I'm making a game (baby-step by baby-step), can I simply texture those in also, and maybe add a faint light if need be?

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:24 am

yes that is possible. if you model the mask and head as one object then texturing in the eyes and eye holes would look better

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:45 pm

I noticed something. My computer is OLD. I also learned that certain computers can only process so much at once.

Here are my computer's specs:

Windows XP
    Intel Pentium III 700 MHz processor
    256 MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
    Purchased about a decade ago

So, what I am wondering is how many polygons would be appropriate for, say, a Toa Mata-sized model?

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:50 pm

it really depends on your texturing. you should also use set smooth to smooth it out and try not to have it to blocky. does blender have smoothing groupd like 3ds? if it did then that would be better.

id say try to aim for as fewer pollys as possible. set a number say 500 and try to stick as close to that as possible. if you end up going over thats ok but try to make it go over by at most 100 extra pollys nothing more.

honestly i prefer high polly modeling but im starting to get more polly concious lol.

so remember set a polly limit try to stick with it if you must go over that limit try to go no more than 100 pollys over. i hope i helped
    nuru_nuva
    Devoted
    Devoted

Post by nuru_nuva on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:51 pm

judging by your PC specs i would say at the highest poly count you can do would be around 1000 or less. if your lucky you can get up to about 3000 to 5000 maybe. i used to have a pc somewhat like that so i know it can be very slow if you have a high poly scene.

for the toa mata model i would say somewhere around 2000 or 3000. i think that would be a good poly count for all the detail. if your pc can`t handle that then make a loosely detailed model at about 700-1200 polys. good luck with the model!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:26 am