The Movies We Missed

The forums have reopened! Thanks for all your patience guys. We know it's been tough. -Snipe
Voting has ended!

Noble Matatu Model

Click
    Hardcore
    Hardcore

Noble Matatu Model

Post by Click on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Okay, I thought I'd make something since we haven't done anything for a while. On the chat, someone mentioned that we still needed the Noble Matatu modelled, so I ordered one in a trade I was working on, and started to model. I haven't really modelled a Kanohi since my Huna, so I hope this turns out okay.
    First render: Shaping's just about done, and I quickly added a "Smooth" modifier. Something just doesn't seem quite right though, or is that just me?
    Click it:

I guess this is kind of my way of saying that even though the leaders are leaving one by one, I'm going to be one of the last people to leave this great project, whether we finish a movie first or not. Now who's with me?! Very Happy

EDIT: Next update
    I tried to get the shaping a little better, and I added some of the details like the ridges around the mouth (look closely) and the holes on top. Pretty much the only thing I need to do is add the eyes and hollow out the back.
    Click it:

So, how is it? Anything I need to fix?

Last edited by Click on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
    bohrokmaster
    Strong Supporter
    Strong Supporter

Re: Noble Matatu Model

Post by bohrokmaster on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:19 am

I'm with you Click! and great job with Turuga Nuju's mask!

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Hmmmm.... Try to make eye holes and then see if there is something wrong. I'll help you if you need an advice.
    Click
    Hardcore
    Hardcore

Post by Click on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Okay, next update. Smile See first post.
    Klak
    Voice of Lewa
    Voice of Lewa

Post by Klak on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:57 pm

I like it, needs eye holes though.

YON LIVES.

Black Hole

Support!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy New Year!

"Star Wars fans ranted and raved about the smallest details in the franchise. George Lucas later quit after being driven away by them. Has BZPower done the same to Greg Farshtey?"

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Can you give us a side view?
    00dude00
    Modeler
    Modeler

Post by 00dude00 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:16 pm

you need an edge split modifier, or a subsurf modifier with extra edge loops on corners. how do you model though? I am not trying to be mean, but this looks very messy. try making it all one model, and try making the topology cleaner. think larger and important faces.
    Click
    Hardcore
    Hardcore

Post by Click on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Okay, as per request, side view, showing all my mistakes:

This also made me realize I forgot to save the version with the vents on the mouth. Ah well.

And 00dude00, I'm new to modelling, so I guess my attempts are usually messy, and I'm working on that. I appreciate your critism. It is actually all one model, and for this one, I started with a cube, and then added in subdivides and loop cuts until I had enough vertices to work with, and then I shift them around based on a background image. I added in the holes with just a circle mesh with 10 vertices, and then connected it to top in a very messy and quick fashion. Razz I'll agree, the top definitely needs some work, and I have no idea why the side edges got smoothed like that. I'm still working on it, I just have some other priorities first.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:23 am