The Chronicler's Company

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Movies We Missed

The forums have reopened! Thanks for all your patience guys. We know it's been tough. -Snipe
Voting has ended!

3 posters

Facial motion capture (eyes closing, eyebrows etc)

Luka1184
    Luka1184
    Recruitment Head
    Recruitment Head

Facial motion capture (eyes closing, eyebrows etc) Empty Facial motion capture (eyes closing, eyebrows etc)

Post by Luka1184 Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Here is basically what's needed. A PDF guide is associated with the build:
    http://code.google.com/p/monet/downloads/list

This guy (I think) helped developing the software:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09oEfXyUQkA
    He used an older version there)

Also check http://www.blender.org/ and the online Blender Manual out for help with motion capturing and tracking.

Have fun testing Smile

- Lukas
    Luka1184
    Luka1184
    Recruitment Head
    Recruitment Head

Facial motion capture (eyes closing, eyebrows etc) Empty Re: Facial motion capture (eyes closing, eyebrows etc)

Post by Luka1184 Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:14 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kFY_xdoXzw Here's a tutorial.

That clip with the guy having the small green dots/markers on his face has been replicated by several people in several ways. Even with motion tracking (which is far easier and faster with 2.62 now Smile )

- Lukas

Facial motion capture (eyes closing, eyebrows etc) Empty Re: Facial motion capture (eyes closing, eyebrows etc)

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:39 am

question: is autodesk motion builder similar to mosion capture?
    Luka1184
    Luka1184
    Recruitment Head
    Recruitment Head

Post by Luka1184 Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:58 am

I honestly don't know that, but studios using Autodesk software uses motion capture, which is the name of the technique, not the software Smile

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:01 pm

yeh i know its just i have recently got alot of autodesk software and i only really know what 3ds max; maya and mudbox.

but motion cature is a good way to go if we can actually impliment it into our movies
    DethRaid
    DethRaid
    BIONICLE: Universe Production Manager

Post by DethRaid Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Motion capture is not just a good way to go, it's pretty much the only way to go unless we have some amazing animators, which we don't.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:30 pm

then we need people to start recording generic movements.
    DethRaid
    DethRaid

Post by DethRaid Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:32 pm

You have to wear a tracking suit, though, or it's pretty hard for Blender to track your movements. Google "Mocap suit" for images, or get a black morphsuit and tape ping pong balls to it, which is what I'll be doing next weekend.
    Luka1184
    Luka1184
    Recruitment Head
    Recruitment Head

Post by Luka1184 Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:34 pm

DethRaid wrote:Motion capture is not just a good way to go, it's pretty much the only way to go unless we have some amazing animators, which we don't.
    Many major studios - not including Pixar - actually use motion capture and when animate it slightly afterwards to fix things up, which is way I think we should do it.

And about animators: We just got those new people, Nathan and Ethan, they are extraordinary at modeling, texture and animating Smile
    Luka1184
    Luka1184
    Recruitment Head
    Recruitment Head

Post by Luka1184 Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:37 pm

DethRaid wrote:You have to wear a tracking suit, though, or it's pretty hard for Blender to track your movements. Google "Mocap suit" for images, or get a black morphsuit and tape ping pong balls to it, which is what I'll be doing next weekend.
    Sorry, but I Think you've misunderstood a big chunk of this conversation: There's tons of great alternative to that one mocap technique.

But please try do that anyways Very Happy Maybe you could become one of our "mocap actors" if we chose fo it that way Wink

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:41 pm

any animator especially the new ones who art working on a short should do atleast one mo cap generic animation (if they have the stuff to do it with) that way things might get done alot easier.
    Luka1184
    Luka1184
    Recruitment Head
    Recruitment Head

Post by Luka1184 Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:04 pm

And Kinect motion capture is generic Wink
    So, Jupiter, please do try it out Smile

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:12 pm

i shall try my hardest to try it out asap. it may not be untill after next week tho coz im wanting to catch up on my course that week in off work. but i shall try
    DethRaid
    DethRaid

Post by DethRaid Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:48 pm

The black suit with white trackers is the only mocap technique I am familiar with, that's why I spoke as if it was the only one.
    Luka1184
    Luka1184
    Recruitment Head
    Recruitment Head

Post by Luka1184 Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 pm

DethRaid wrote:The black suit with white trackers is the only mocap technique I am familiar with, that's why I spoke as if it was the only one.
    Ah... That's understandeble. It is the most well known after all Smile
    DethRaid
    DethRaid

Post by DethRaid Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:36 pm

So far, I've had no luck at all with Blender. I was thinking of making each bone a separate object and doing some fancy Vertex Group-ing to make it all work, but Blender needs 8 tracking points for each object, and I don't quite have 8 for each bone. I'm going to try out some other software, but if not, I'll have to re-film the thing, which I'd rather not do if it can be avoided.
    Luka1184
    Luka1184
    Recruitment Head
    Recruitment Head

Post by Luka1184 Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:46 pm

That's too bad.
    I should look some more into it. The Kinect would be one of the Best solutions though, I think Smile
    DethRaid
    DethRaid

Post by DethRaid Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Probably, but the animations it produces are pretty rough and will need a lot of cleaning up. Don't get me wrong, it's a great piece of technology at a great price, but it's not perfect by any means.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:07 pm

nothing is perfect
    Luka1184
    Luka1184
    Recruitment Head
    Recruitment Head

Post by Luka1184 Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:12 pm

What Jupiter said.
    It's basicslly the same; almost. And both techniques need a lot of sweating? afterwards. And I mean A LOT.
    Jupiter, when do you think you can test it? Just roughly.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:22 pm

it could be any time this weak as soon as my brother lets me on it and as soon as i have a spare min when im not working on my course work. dont worry i will try to get something by the weekend
    nuru_nuva
    nuru_nuva
    Devoted
    Devoted

Post by nuru_nuva Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:29 pm

this is an oldish topic but i though i would share something to keep everyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVPcT0dJmoY

camera tracking in blender 2.62 from andrew price.
    DethRaid
    DethRaid

Post by DethRaid Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Awesome! I'm going to try and do mocap again this weekend, I'll post results here.
    nuru_nuva
    nuru_nuva
    Devoted
    Devoted

Post by nuru_nuva Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:25 pm

Can't wait to see the results! Happy Dance!
    DethRaid
    DethRaid

Post by DethRaid Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Neither can I... The biggest problem is that one needs eight tracking points for each object, in this case each bone, so you'll barely be able to see me through all the ping-pong balls Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:44 am